Saturday, April 5, 2008

Digital scrapbooking




Digital scrapbooking :- I read about it, i reviewed reviewers review, browsed the various sites, pondered about it - mainly whether its a solution to the fact that my physical access to scrapbook materials is very much limited.

Even after reading up, I was still somewhat vague on how digital scrapbooking is done. Do one need dedicated speciality software? Or could one just use the familiar ol' MSWord? They mentioned Photoshop alot ... and that turned me off since the only thing i know about Photoshop is how to open and close JPG files! Ask me to edit and i end up corrupting any file set before me ... :P

Though am usually satisfied with the locally sourced alternatives and pleased with what i can conjure up with them, I do on occassions wished i had easy access to all that fantastical whimsical world of paper art and embellishments.

... until i couldn't take it anymore. I wanted Whimsical! Fanciful! And all that wonderous elemental designs to be incorporated into my scrapbooking reportoire! (admiring other scrapbook enthusiasts' works does make one to only WANT for more ...!)

So, I took the gamble. Figured, a USD1.20 (about RM4.20 - depending on the rates of the day) per file loss is bearable (compared to what i had already spent on acquiring paper tools and supplies!). Efforts may also be for nought - if i didn't have the right software or technical know-how... but at least i tried!

A good site to start is www.scrapbooks.com where there's an array of digital scrapbooking files to chose from.

You would eventually discover in the payment process that our country isn't listed!(how sad is that!) But fret not! The most important thing is to click on the manner of which the files are to be sent i.e. 'DOWNLOADABLE FILES'. Once payment is completed, your files can be instantly downloaded.)

I have since discovered that digital scrapbooking is alot easier than thought out to be. You can indeed use friendly ol' MSWord - since files are mainly JPG. Its as easy as inserting clipart! You just got to add on little more technical know-how on how to layer those files.

Ever since, my work has turned 'Hybrid' i.e. a combination of digital scrapbooking and tradtional scrapbooking. I can't say that's better than having access to specialty craftshops nearby but its good enough for me!

3 comments:

SnazzyJazzie said...

yes...i am also currently discovering how this digital scrapbooking works. takes some time when things are not in their actual physicalities. i have a feeling that i may just swtich to this since the cost is almost the same but the only thing is you can't handpick your favourite items.

Anonymous said...

Eh, can buy scrapbook DVD.I got one for <$10 to make a Valentine scrap-page for her class memory book.


Wings

Creative Busy Bee said...

Actually I personally feel that digital scrapbooking is more suit for me (3 kids mom n really timeless), no need spend time to take out and tidy up everytime. Of cuase manual SB have differences of fun. I do both- digi and maually SB. And now a day lots of freebies can be download from website (very good for me being no income SAHM).Just fo sharing.