Thursday, April 3, 2008

and a drawer full of ribbons ...



My stash of ribbons are in want of proper storage!

It was only this year that i started with the ribbons collection to embellish cards and scrap pages. Since its just about the only readily available scrapbooking embellishment in the heart of Borneo, i bought just about any colour, design and textures that I could get my hands on from various shops around town. As you can see, i've amass quite a collection!

I also happily report that am no longer ignorant of the term 'textured ribbons'. I can now detail my ribbons somewhat specifically - from ric-rac to gingham design cloth ribbons of 1/8 ... sadly though, the shop owners (usually sewing/florist shops) who's lingua franca is mainly in chinese dialect of Hockkien haven't a clue what am going on about! :p

Due to force of circumstances, am now trying very hard to remember terms for such ribbons in Hockkien dialect. Can't say am doing very well in that sector ... i've already forgotten the Hockkien term for ric-racs !

Having said that, sign language always works. If that fails, I'd just tell them I'll go and help myself and am usually more than happy to rummage through their shop until i find what i want! Whilst shop owner is equally happy to let befuddling customer who speaks funny look for what she wants!

Usually, by going through their shop from the front all the way to the dusty little corners at the back, gives me an idea of what local craft shops have in stock thus, helping me build up my mental inventory of what bits and pieces i can gather locally. Almost always - I'd stumble upon some other treasures that i could use!

Like those paper flowers i found ...

No comments: