Monday, September 22, 2008

The 'Felt' connection ....



Ta Daaahhhhh!!!


For someone who doesn't sew this was what I made on Sunday - felt cupcake keyrings!


Admittedly, I didn't dream up design from scratch. Instructions were chanced upon while trawling through the various scrapbook/craft blogs for ideas (http://www.mookychick.co.uk/diy_ethic/indie_craft_felt_cupcake_keyring.php). That was weeks ago, possibly even a month!

The main reason why I took my time trying out the idea (don't get me wrong, it was a fantastic tutorial!) was due to the fact that I didn't know HOW to 'blanket stitch'. I did learn how to sew various stitches in school once upon a time ago ... but that was at least 25 years ago and sewing isn't exactly on my list of interests.

But somehow ... some inpirations just egg you on, demanding that you experiment. Demanding you venture out of one's comfort zone of techniques and preferences.

That's what those pieces of felt did sitting in my cupboard that I bought a while back with the intention of turning them into 'felt flowers' scrapbook embellishments.'No sewing needed' - so i thought ...' Just glue 'em together ...'

But instead of sticking felt flowers, I surprised myself and SEWN together cupcake keyrings - complete with blanket stitches!!

I guess when inspired, one never truly forgets how to blanket stitch after all ...!!


2 comments:

SnazzyJazzie said...

whoa... you've certainly ventured out of your comfort zone with these lovelies. cupcake is a craze these days. you stuffed cotton inside them? sell them!!

Tee said...

stuffed them with some polyster filler ... i don't know what you call 'em but they had 'em sold at the sewing shops.