Thursday, October 23, 2008

Grappling miniatures ...a creator's angst!


I've been asked to make a few felt pieces in 6cmx6cm dimension but as much as I try to make 'em small, with my present set of tools ... ok, one tool ... I rely on my trusty new sharp scissors to cut out the shapes from the felt pieces. I realised, to cut 'em small is alot harder than to cut 'em big. Like wise, to draw 'em small is alot harder than to draw em big ...

I think I need laser scissors for such intricate specifications if there's such a thing ... and since am on the roll, a template of equally intricate designs and probably a host of other tools and equipment to go with the laser scissors and template! Even a special table or a mat so I won't cut through the floor, the table top ... or what-not am cutting on ... :P

Those triangular textile chalks that we get here, used to draw out patterns aren't much help either. The grip's terrible (its non existent really) ... which leads to clumsy, broad, messy lines. Its either a mess of a pattern or frustrating scratches of odd lines. I daresay, its NOT an effective drawing tool - esp. on felt!

Why can't they make 'em in pencil form where there's better grip and blunt tips can be sharpen ?! Then again, for all I know ... those textile pattern chalks in pencil form do exist ... just, its not sold in Kuching. :p

So what's my alternative? Felt tip pens (no puns intended) -used for writing or architectural designs. Make a mistake and one's felt pieces (not pen) are permanently marred!

I'm soooo sorry K ... this piece has ended up six centimenters high and FIFTEEN centimenters LONG!

Talk about being WAY off the mark ...!

2 comments:

SnazzyJazzie said...

gee Tee, this is exactly what i want. how very nice and colourful. i forgot to mention that for this particular design, has to be longer and bigger than 6cm by 6cm. make 2 more!

Tee said...

ohhh ... ok! Glad u like 'em :)